The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates that the job outlook for photographers is expected to increase by just 4% from 2012 to 2022. The main reason for this slower than average growth is because companies are turning to freelance photographers as opposed to still hiring an in-house photography. That stat, however, shouldn’t deter you if you have a great eye and passion for capturing a story or event. A career as a professional photography can be fulfilling both creatively and financially – even as a freelancer.
Types of Photographers
- Action or Event . These photographers work at re-creating the memorable moments of the action taking place at these, and other similar functions: weddings, sporting events, business events, speakers, religious events or ceremonies.
- Fashion . These photographers will capture models on the runway or during a shoot for a designer, studio, or catalog.
- Nature . These photographers capture both rural and urban landscapes.
- Portrait . These photographers work in a studio or set location and capture family or celebrity portraits.
- Still Life . These are the photographers that take pictures for advertising purposes.